Few towns have had such a strategic location throughout history as Køge. Køge received its municipal charter in 1288, and the first port was established at that time, a short distance up Køge river. Over the years, the port was extended and moved closer to the sea. The existing location of the harbour, at the mouth of the Køge river, can be dated back to 1411.
Between 1600 and 1900, the port underwent numerous extensions, as Køge’s location took on greater military and commercial importance.
A series of strong easterly storms have devastated the port on many occasions. Construction quality has only been advanced enough to withstand the forces of nature since the twentieth century.
In the 1930’s, Port of Køge was significantly expanded, establishing it as a serious trading harbour. A new dock was added, a wider inlet, a 250-metre long concrete pier, an 86-metre long perpendicular pier, and a 50-metre long perpendicular pier called Devil Island. The final costs amounted to approx. DKK 1,000,000 – a large sum in the 1930’s.
In 1980, Juncker port and North port were added, and in 1991, another North port. Between 1995 and 2004, a large ash landfill project was carried out. Between 2001 and 2003, wharves 46-48 were added, and between 2004 and 2005, the ferry berth was added to accommodate the Bornholm ferry.
At the beginning of the millenium, Zealand’s third-largest port is about to be expanded again.
The Køge Municipal Archive contains extensive information (in Danish) about some of the major stages in the harbour’s history. Visit the archive here.
Køge havn ca. 1972.
"Roswell Victory" 1948.
Ice Sdr. Mole 1984.
Argentinians in Køge 1986